Steve Conversation with Brianna Chay
Re: Steve Martin Caro
Hello
Please contact me here instead of through Bandcamp
Thanks
Alrighty Mr. Galindo, thank you!!
Firstly, thank you very much for responding, I appreciate it.
Secondly, from what I have understood, you worked with Steve Martin Caro for a bit? If you could share absoloutly anything you remember at all, it would be very much appreciated.
Thank you.
Hi Brianna
I wouldn't say that I 'worked' with him. He was at my house a lot and I always had tape recorders running. We did a few informal things, but mostly, he was just a friend who was at my house all the time.
Well, that is still the kind of information I'm looking for. Would you have information about his character, personality, family life, etc? Anything, anything at all helps. What was he like?
Do you have any pictures?
Unfortunately, I was never much of a picture taker. Times were different then. We didn't have cameras in our pockets like now. If you ever want to talk about Steve, you can call me. I like to talk about him. I was friends with George Cameron and Jeff Winfield also.
You knew George Cameron and Jeff Winfield too - wow!!
Do you have any connections with any other people associated with the Left Banke?
And I completely understand about the pictures.
I'll be sure to call you for an interview when I get a chance, although I've got quite a tight schedule. Do you remember anything about Heather, Steve's wife?
I met her only once. That was on the night that I met Steve. She left him the next day. She didn't want to live in Tampa. He was devastated. I don't think he ever got over it...at least not while I knew him.
Are you on Facebook?
That's what another friend of his has said, too. He said Steve was so torn and he never got over it.
So, did she leave him solely because she didn't want to live in Tampa? What did she look like, if I can ask?
Also, unfortunately, I don't currently have Facebook. However, I'd be more than happy to open an account if it helps me discover more about him.
She was a beautiful lady with long black hair. I remember that. I knew her for about two hours. Which friend of his told you that? Maybe I know him?
I read it off of a Facebook comment of someone who said they knew him. I'd have to Google the post to find it. I can access Facebook from my computer browser, laptops can do that without an account.
I do have Instagram and Reddit though, if that helps.
Also, I know Steve got married in Ohio, did he move to Tampa/was he planning on moving there?
I also read a comment about him potentially turning to drinking to ease his grief.... would you know anything about that?
It just feels so strange of her to leave him..... I wonder if Tampa was the only reason?
That's correct. He came to Tampa from Ohio. When I knew him - we hung out for about five years, he did not drink. He had sworn off alcohol and became a fitness buff. He always had a problem with alcohol, so that made him feel good, so it was actually the opposite. He was quite the pothead though. I don't know if Tampa was the reason, but it would certainly be a valid reason. The place sucks!
By the way, How did you find me on Bandcamp?
"so that made him feel good, so it was actually the opposite."
The alcohol made him feel good or quitting it?
I'm so glad he didn't become dependent on it.
Why did he move to Tampa? And couldn't he simply had stayed in Ohio, that way getting to stay with Heather?
Did he ever quit pot, and when did he start it?
I was doing some research about Mr. Martin-Caro, and I stumbled across the Bandcamp webpage, which had a segment that stated you had recorded some tapes with him. Due to that, I imagined I could contact you through that same website.
In fact, here's a screenshot!

I figured that. I also made a video of the song with some pictures of Steve. It's on You Tube
I don't know why he went to Tampa, but I'm glad he did.
Quitting alcohol made him feel good. He was doing a little weight lifting, running. I remember his 40th birthday. He was in Ybor City hanging out. He looked fantastic with his Beatle boots, dress slacks....looking every bit the rock star. He looked at me and laughed and said, "Look at me, Ray! I'm forty years old today!" He flexed his arms and said, "Have you ever seen such a specimen?"
As for the pot, remember that he was a musician in the 60's. That shouldn't be a mystery. I don't think he ever quit, but I don't really know. I never saw him again after the summer of 89 when I came to New York. It was here that I later met Jeff Winfield in 1995 and then in 2013 I met George.
Thank you so very much for the video!!
All the images featured I have had archived, so that's obviously good preservation for the band's legacy.
Wow!! I can picture that!! That's such an amazing memory. You're very lucky to have been able to meet him. And I do imagine he looked fantastic!! I honestly think he was the most handsome lad of the 60's. I haven't ever seen any pictures of him in the 80's though, sadly.
In your post on Bandcamp, you mentioned a Rev. Ralph if I'm not mistaken?
Mr. Martin-Caro's mother was quite famous in her own right too - did he ever say anything about his parents?
That's quite sad you never saw him again, though. Did you ever try to contact him again? Or vice-versa?
I guess you've probably seen every Left Banke and related videos that are available on you tube
His mother was a famous Flamenco dancer named Sarita Heredia. You can find her on You Tibe. He never mentioned her to me.
Rev. Ralph is another long story for another time. Ralph introduced Steve to me.
Yep, I've watched all Left Banke videos and those of his mother, on Youtube!
Although, if you ever stumble across rare material, let me know!!
Did Rev. Ralph have connections with the entire band, and is he still alive?
I will. No, Ralph met George once, but didn't like him very much. I loved George. He was a fun person to be around.
Steve actually outlived Ralph even though Ralph used to think it would be the other way around. I had more of a connection to them than he did.
I never met Mike Brown, but he used to call my house all the time looking for Steve. We would talk for a few minutes when he called. He was a character.
Did George ever have a family? Wife, kids, etc?
And did Steve ever re-marry or have children?
I know Steve wore a ring in the 60's/70's, but it must have been as an engagement, fashion, or promise ring, as he was never legally married according to Ohio records during those decades.
Did you know George up until his death?
I can tell you had a close friendship with Steve! It's such an honour to be able to speak with someone who was so close to him!
Michael Brown....haha, yes I have heard a ton about him. Sadly, he was very volatile and had bipolar disorder. Troubled soul.
How did he treat you?
I don't think George ever married and/or had children. We never talked about that. He wasn't the type. During the short time that I knew him, maybe five years, he was single. He lived alone in a small rented room in an SRO on Avenue B on the lower east side. I called George on the night that he died. I was at a gig down the street from him with Alan Merrill, and I called him to invite him to the gig. I found out the next morning that he had died.
Steve never remarried, and I don't know if he fathered any children, but who knows.
Mike as I said used to call my house. He treated me nicely. When I moved to New York in 1989, I called him because I wanted to meet him. He was very sharp with me and I never spoke with him again.. I went to his memorial concert.
Did George answer the phone that night?
Also, that news must have simply been tragic!!
Yeah, Steve didn't have kids from all the research I have done.
"We never talked about that. He wasn't the type. During the short time that I knew him, maybe five years, he was single."
You mean George, right?
And I'm sorry about what happened with Michael.... don't take it personally. From what I understand he had a rough life until near the end.
I know you said you had tape running all the time when Steve was at your house - aside from the demos you have uploaded, do you have any like, dialog of some sort, jam sessions, etc?
Yes, I mean George.
I have some stuff. I'm working on digitizing them...some funny dialogue. I have a funny version of him singing Yesterday and jamming on some of my songs. He hated that people took an interest in him because of who he was in the 60's. He didn't live there anymore and wanted to forget it. He was annoyed when Ralph introduced him to me as the guy who sang walk Away Renee. He said, "Ralph, I told you not to tell anybody" He needed real friends who liked him as a nobody.He enjoyed music with me because there were no expectations. I wasn't trying to start a band with him or use his influence to further my career or anything. We just enjoyed making noise together. Actually, the only times that I can remember that we talked about the Left Banke was when he brought it up. I hardly ever brought it up. That's who he was in the 60's. We were in the present.
I would DIE to hear an audio of Yesterday!! The funny dialogue tooooo!! Anything and everything interests me honestly.
He sounds like a very genuine person, very humble.
And even then, you know, I'd still like to hear about his life in the 80's, those good times he got to share with you then. His life overall interests me - he's just one of those people that re really cool to learn about. And I'd still like to get to know that Steve who could just have a good time and make noise with his friends.
The fastest way to get audios digitally are to stick a phone with a recording app to a tape playing, I think. I know digitizing can be a lengthier process.
I still think a big part of what matters to me is seeing if he was able to live through a happy life..... he had some rough moments.
I transfer my tapes from a Tascam 424 4-track tape deck to Bandlab, master it as best as I can and make a wav file. It's not difficult at all.
Ahhh, cool.
I would've imagined it to be harder than that.
Would you please share the files with me whenever you have them available, if you wouldn't mind?
Also, I know you said Steve hated being thought of only as a 60's musician, so I'm very sorry if I annoyed you by bringing it up. Truth be told, being a historian, I just try to learn all that I can, haha.
You didn't annoy me at all. He was annoyed by other people's perception of him. Being in the Left Banke was a good experience for him, but after that all went away, he wanted to move on, but everyone wanted him to just shut up and sing Renee for the rest of their lives. He felt like no one was leaving him alone about it. I remember one time when I was going to the studio to record Hyde Park Avenue. He said that he would sing on the recording. I stopped by his place that morning to pick him up to go to the studio. I called through the door, "Steve, are you ready to go?" His sleepy voice came back through the door, "You sing it, Ray. Everytime I put my voice on tape, someone rips me off!" That song was not intended to become a hit or go commercial. It was just a song about my life with Steve, Ralph and the little artistic crowd that was us. He was so busy being ripped off and being broke while songwriters and producers were making money on his voice. The record company was paying these guys 200.00 a week while they were in teen magazines. Jeff and his roommate, Joe Jr. from Paul Revere and The Raiders had to sell pot from their apartment just to make the rent.
"he wanted to move on, but everyone wanted him to just shut up and sing Renee for the rest of their lives."
Lol. That makes sense - a person not wanting to be known and loved for only one thing. When you say "that little artistic crowd", who was involved?
"The record company was paying these guys 200.00 a week while they were in teen magazines."
200 to the entire group, as in, the entire group had to split it?
Also, thanks for confirming the exploitation. I didn't learn about that until very recently.
In fact, I read that Brown's father was taking all their money in an interview article that features Tom Finn. Here's the following segment:
"“As soon as we had the hits, Michael and his father completely took over. We’re out on the road doing these long tours, and Harry’s stealing all our money. Steve, George and I eventually put our foot down, so Mike decided to throw us all out.”
Finn says that, after their initial hits, Lookofsky attempted to rebuild the group around Martin and Brown and fire the other members. Guitarist Jeff Winfield was a victim of that purge; Finn says that he and Cameron were quickly asked back when Lookofsky failed to find suitable replacements. Rick Brand was hired as the band’s new guitarist; it’s Brand who appears with the band in Walk Away Renee/Pretty Ballerina‘s cover photos, although he only plays on one album track, the Brown/Martin/Cameron composition “Let Go of You Girl.”
Lookofsky also fired co-producer/engineers Steve and Bill Jerome, whose studio skills had been crucial in the creation of the band’s hits, midway through recording the album.
“Steve Jerome used to go out on the road with us as our road manager, and when we got back, Harry would take all the money,” says Finn. “Steve was a genius recording engineer, but Harry didn’t want to pay him, so he got rid of him.”
After the Jerome brothers’ departure, the Left Banke moved from World United to Mercury Records’ Manhattan studio. “The trust was gone,” Finn recalls. “Now, we were at Mercury Studios recording with some by-the-book staff engineer with a white shirt and tie, who didn’t understand the first thing about what we were trying to do. That was the beginning of the end for us.”"
Also, I noticed that you said: "Jeff and his roommate, Joe Jr. from Paul Revere and The Raiders had to sell pot from their apartment just to make the rent."
Jeff Winfield?
That brings to mind that you said Steve was a pothead and it makes me wonder if he was buying his pot from them, haha!!
How often did Steve smoke it, if I may ask? Did it alter his singing ability or character at all?
I imagine Jeff Winfield was a pothead, too?
I imagine Steve wasn't it a good financial position, makes me wonder how he plowed through the 70's, 80's, 90's, etc.
Mr. Galindo, I have some great news!! I think I found some pictures of a middle-aged Mr. Martin-Caro!! I'm not sure who the black-haired gal to his left in the second picture is, but, is this indeed what he looked like?
2 Attachments • Scanned by Gmail
You can call me Ray. Yes, that's him. I'm not sure, but that could be Heather. The man next to him in the first picture is Charly Cazalet. He is a co-author of Desiree. Here are some collaborations that Charly put up on You Tube. He also played bass in the Left Banke reunion shows in the early 2000's
Wow - all of these are really cool!! Thank you very much for sharing!!
Do you know Charly personally?
You're welcome! I don't know Charly personally. I spoke with him on the phone once about 20 years ago. We are friends on Facebook.
Oh that's very cool.
I tried opening a Facebook account to no avail. Oof.
My laptop has a pretty bad quality camera and I think Facebook didn't pick up on all the fancy face scan stuff. Now you have to do all kinds of face scan stuff from different angles to create an account.... crazy, right?
If you're ever able to message him over Facebook, it would be very helpful if you could request his email address so I can ask him some questions about writing Desiree and the like. I would appreciate it very much.
I imagine Steve never recorded the vocals to Hyde Park?
The only recording with him on Hyde Park I have stumbled upon was him on drumming.
Oh, and Ray - did you ever meet Tom Finn? From my understanding he spent a lot of time in New York - he was the Left Banke's bassist. Passed away in 2020.
No, I never met Tom
Ahhh - he sure did a lot of interviews though, you know, before his death. I've sure learned a lot from them.
You said you also gigged with Alan Merrill? Isn't he the guy from The Arrows?
I know the Arrows did a cover of Walk Away Renee.
Yes, Alan was with The Arrows. He also wrote I Love Rock and Roll. He auditioned for The Left Banke and Badfinger. He didn't pass the auditions. He was a good friend of mine. I've shared a stage with him a few times. Also Ian Lloyd from Stories. I opened for him once.
Once my best friend, Jim went to see Alan at The Sidewalk in the East Village. I didn't go with him. Jim told me later that when Alen saw him in the audience, he said, "Hi Jim! Is Ray with you?" I thought, 'When the guy who wrote I Love Rock and Roll asks for me, I've made it!' Alan was one of the first celebrity covid casualties and my first friend to die from it.
Woah!! Yes, you really have made it!!
That's funny, I basically woke up thinking about Stories. It's funny that you mention them, that was very cool. I imagine that you already know, but they were Michael Brown's band. Didn't they have a #1 hit before they left the group?
Also, I didn't know that Alan died from Covid. R.I.P.
It's seems like you've had quite the life with celebrities. And not just you know, as a fa, but as a genuine friend with whom they felt safe around.
I had no idea that he also auditioned for Badfinger or The Left Banke!!!!
Have you met any other celebs?
Yes. I've met Sean Lennon, Chaka Khan, Patti Smith, Mike McCready (Pearl Jam guitarist), James Caan, Paul Kantner, Marty Balin, Slick Aguilar, Ron Jeremy, Dmitry Brill from Deee-lite, I was friends with David Peel RIP, Carlos Santana...and I have either been in the same room or said hello in passing to others - David Byrne, Patti Labelle, Woody Alan, Al Roker, Tony Randall, Iggy Pop, Jerry Nolan and David Johansen, Captain Sensible (Guitarist in The Damned)...and I'm sure, some that I can't remember at this moment...That's what happens when you live in New York.


WOW. JUST WOW.
Man, I gotta move to New York now, Ray!!
I'm a Jefferson Airplane fan, HUGE Marty Balin fan - what were he and Kantner like!?
You should so write an autobiography. I'm not kidding. People would actually be interested. I have seen people comment online that they'd be interested to read this sort of stuff. It means a lot to us fans, you know.
It must be such an interesting experience for you, you know, to get to know stars as actual people and see who they are in real life and not just in the public eye.
Also, I've got more great news. After a lot of back-and-forth with Dick Clark productions, I finally got my hands on some never-seen-before Left Banke footage. They had it in their warehouse and digitized it for me.
Of course I squealed with delight!! It's the first time this footage has been seen since it aired!!
And, of course, I managed to save some frames!!
I would love to see that! Is it the footage from Where The Action Is?
Can you share it with me?
Oh, I was friends with Buzzy Lindhart who wrote Friends, a hit by Bette Midler. The last time I saw him I loaned him 5.00 and I never saw him again.
I also had dinner with David Pomeranz who wrote "Tryin' to Get the Feeling Again" , a hit by Barry Manilow. This was in Tampa in 2011
I met Wavy Gravy and Al Hendrix, Jimi's father at the Woodstock 20th Anniversary in Bethel
I just remembered. I'm watching Around The World in 80 Days. Cesar Romero is in it. I met him when I was working as a busboy when I was about 17 at a Spanish restaurant in Tampa circa 1977/78
Actually, it's from American Bandstand.
They are all in three-piece-suits!!
The "Where the Action Is" appearance has been leaked online already from both alternate takes. This one is one that's literally never been found online in any form and other archivists have been dying to get their hands on it for some time, including 12-String Productions. I've been back and forth with the Dick Clark team for some time now and they finally went to their actual warehouse to get the tape and digitize it!!
Unfortunately, I just moved it to USB a few minutes ago. I can pull out my USB maybe later next week or sooner..... I can send the still-frames in a few minutes though.
Woah!! You sure have an entire list of famous people you have met!! That's just sooo epic!!
I've heard of wavy gravy - and that's so cool you met Kimi's father.
Wait, if you were 17 in 1977/1978, you were actually quite young when you met Mr. Caro!!
That's so cool!!
You've had celebs in your life since a young age, lol!!
Right, here are some still-frames from my personal archive.
Have you seen this appearance before?
You've been so nice to me, (and I have barely had much time with my finals) so I haven't stuck on a watermark as I usually do. I'd appreciate being credited though if you decide to use these images - which, feel free to, by the way!!
Tom was smiling so much in this appearance!!
Hey, I have a question, and I hope you aren't offended - but I have a fun idea - could we do a trade? I can send over the full footage and when you have time, you can send me "Yesterday" or anything you get to digitizing. You can get to it whenever, no rush, but I would appreciate it very much!! 



What say you? 

I'm also gonna continue working with DCP management and see if they can get me this without timestamps and perhaps with the intro and/or interview of the band if applicable.
As an archivist, being the first person to see this since the broadcast date is heaven!! 









16 Attachments • Scanned by Gmail
I was 25 when I met Steve
I've been meaning to get to that. I'll make it a project and send whatever I have.
These pictures are great! Thanks. I'm not going to use them for anything. I'll keep them in 'Brianna's Left Banke Folder'
I might have some other goodies for you too. Some unreleased Left Banke music that was sent to me by Sam Kogon who was one of the singers in the Left Banke Reunion shows..I hope I can still access them. If not, I'll have to beg him for them again.
Yup!! That's young!!
"I've been meaning to get to that. I'll make it a project and send whatever I have."
EEK!!! I'm so excited!!
(Also, "EEEK!!" is my way of typing an excited squeal, lol.)
"These pictures are great! Thanks."
You're welcome!! I would have saved more framed but I was short on time, as I had to fill out usage forms with DC5 management about how I was gonna use the vids, etc. They charge $90 bucks per second!! With a 30 second minimum!!
They were kind enough to send it all though, as a "early holiday present!"

They were kind enough to send it all though, as a "early holiday present!""I'll keep them in 'Brianna's Left Banke Folder'"
Aweeee, that's so sweet of you - thank you!!
If it's alright, can we be friends? It would be cool to know I have the Ray Galindo as a friend!!
OOH!! I sure do hope that you have other videos!! That would be soooo cool!!
I've got a nice amount of stuff too.... tons of stuff I've been gradually uploading to Pinterest.... audio interviews....
Let me upload the most recent appearance I've archived....
I've got the standard version and high quality streaming version.
I trust ya, so you get to view it watermark free!!
Also, DCP management has a ton of stuff they haven't digitized, like a ton. I've got connections with an employee so I'm sure if I ask nicely I can get my hands on more. 

Let me know if the videos go through well.
Update: I can't seem to get them to attach. I'm currently trying to see if I can share as a Onedrive link (as these are larger files), but I don't know if you'll be able to download .
Right, they are in link format. Hope you can view them alright. Otherwise, I'll see if I can toss them up on Youtube as unlisted and give you viewing permission. 

You'll be the second pair of eyes to see this since 1966!!
Tom Finn (in an interview) said he had never been able to view his AB appearance, even though he remembered recording this as clear as day. Sadly, I didn't find it until after his death and he was never able to watch it. Oh well.






Comments
Post a Comment