Letter to Tammy

 tammyw@seiucc.org

Hello Tammy :)

I hope that this finds you happy and well.

My birthday is September 3rd. I am turning 65. I really miss the Call Center and everyone with whom I forged friendships. I miss having to watch the news and see what is going on in America and the world and all I can do is watch, hope and pray. I feel irresponsible because I am not actively engaged in whatever way I can beyond voting. I'm not one for street protesting or attending rallies and such -my current health situation does not allow for it, but going to work for even a couple of hours and doing a little something that makes a difference makes it all worthwhile.

I loved my job. All I could think about when I was in Florida for six years was why did I leave, and I want my job back. The first thing I did upon my return was go to see you. You remembered me and gave me a schedule. I felt useful when I was working at the center. I was a part, however small, of something much larger that benefits Americans. Four years I gave my heart and passion and it was gone in minutes. After four years, one debate knocked me out of the race. I've missed three elections. We got Trump and Covid because I wasn't there!

We worked so hard on the Fight for 15, and all that I have experienced is employers trying to get around it and still remain within the law. I am insulted by them. The best job I had was during the last part of the worst of the pandemic when I was working as a covid tester for NY Health and Hospitals. 25.00 an hour, 10 hour days in the freezing cold. It was worth every freezing minute!

The last time that we spoke, you told me that it is not common to rehire someone who had been fired. I understand that. In my defense, I submit that I committed no crime against person or property while employed at the center. If you recall, my mother had recently passed away and everything else concerning me and my family subsequently fell apart. I was doing my best to function normally, but in hindsight, there was really nothing normal about me at the time.

I have retired. I am no longer musically active outside of home projects. I have not consumed an ounce of alcohol in more than four years. I have been in a committed relationship with a very nice woman, also retired, for 7+ years. Her safety security and happiness is my only concern.

I feel good everyday, and I am always ready to face the day with my usual humor and developed patience...the greatest gift that God has given us is a sense of humor and the ability to learn patience. I need to work a little just to keep myself from withering away. I need to get back on the team. It's been 7 years since I last worked at the call center. I want to come back to work for a few hours a week. I do not have to work all day everyday. That's never healthy for anyone. My SS Benefit is almost enough to keep my household on solid ground.


Enter
You sent

Comments