The F Word



"Woman, weep not for me, but for yourselves and your children" ... Jesus Christ It has become socially acceptable to casually refer to the fairer sex as females, yet girl, woman, baby, chick, and other practical and endearing terms are now considered sexist and should be avoided. Girls are young women, baby is someone who is loved, and chicks are cute. They go to great lengths to be young, loved, and cute, so what is the problem? Women is now spelled wymyn. Ladies is still acceptable, but I do not see it as applicable in many cases.
I have noticed that men today refer to their significant others as 'my female.' Your female what? The only thing missing is the grunt, the dinosaur bone, and the blueprint for the wheel. I doubt that "Good evening female, would you like to accompany me to a Spice Females concert?" is going to guarantee anyone a date. He will probably go home alone and watch Wonder Female, The Bionic Female, and Cat Female on television.
As human beings, we are set apart from the rest of the animal kingdom by our usage of spoken and written language, and by our ability to interact with each other and have meaningful relationships regardless of our instincts. We have a higher purpose than merely existing as a link in the food chain or just to reproduce and defend. Words such as man, woman, husband, wife, son daughter, brother, sister, dear, and honey were invented and given meaning for a purpose - to identify each other in terms that personalize us, that reflect our qualities, and that illustrate and emphasize our relationship, our usefulness, and our importance to one another.
Would a wedding ceremony be as beautiful if the groom was asked, "Do you John take this female to be your lawfully wedded female?" The bride would have a Female of Honor and a Flower Female. As the groom, I would feel like I am being bred in a zoo or grafted in a terrarium! I would not introduce my wife as my female anymore than I would want to be referred to as her male. Parents introducing their two lovely daughters to a relative or to a business associate by proudly proclaiming "these are our lovely females, Lassie and Miss Piggie" might leave them wondering if these are parents, breeders, puppeteers, or comedians.
Hopefully, we have evolved from club-wielding, hair-dragging cavemen to a socially, morally, and scientifically advanced species. In legal or medical terminology, the use of the word female is appropriate. However if in all political correctness, no one should be identified by their profession, race, ethnicity, religion, political affiliation, or sexual orientation, neither should anyone be identified solely by their gender. In my opinion, it is impersonal and dehumanizing. I have spoken with a number of women who have found this acceptable. I will not be participating!
Why do we eat chickens and cows but not roosters and bulls? Answer this for me and I will buy you a henburger.

Comments